In this guide, we are going to learn how to install Microsoft Teams app on Ubuntu 22.04. Microsoft Teams is chat-centered workspace in Office 365. It instantly enables you to access all your team’s content from a single place where messages, files, people and tools live together.
Some of the features provided by the Microsoft Teams app include;
- Work with your team’s documents on the go
- Move seamlessly across different team projects and topics
- Mention individual team members or your entire team to get attention.
- Chat privately one-on-one or have instant group conversations
- See real-time chat history on your favorite device and continue conversations started elsewhere
- Chat with your entire team in dedicated channels
- Quickly search through your chats and team conversations
- Find a contact through name or email address search
- Include content and capabilities you need every day
- Customize alerts to get notified when you get mentioned or get a message
- Save important conversations to quickly access them later
- Get the enterprise-level security and compliance you expect from Office 365
- Enhanced security with multi-factor authentication
As of this writing, Microsoft Teams App for Linux is available as a preview version.
Install Microsoft Teams App on Ubuntu 22.04
The use of Microsoft Teams App requires appropriate commercial Office 365 subscription. Ensure that you have the necessary license to use Teams app seamlessly.
There are two ways in which you can install Microsoft Teams on Ubuntu 22.04;
Install Teams via DEB Linux Binary Installer
Navigate to teams app downloads page and grab the current Debian binary installer.
You can simply obtain the URL and pull the binary using wget;
Once the download is complete, install Teams using APT package manager. This ensures that any would dependencies are sorted automatically;
sudo apt install ./teams_1.5.00.10453_amd64.deb
Install Microsoft Teams from Microsoft Repository
It is also possible to install Microsoft Teams App from Microsoft repos. Thus create the repository as follows and install Teams App.
Install repository signing Key;
curl -s https://packages.microsoft.com/keys/microsoft.asc | \ sudo gpg --dearmor > /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/teams.gpg
Create the Teams App repository;
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/ms-teams stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/teams.list
Similarly, this command can work as well;
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/ms-teams stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/teams.list
Apt your system package cache;
sudo apt update
Install Microsoft Teams App from repository;
sudo apt install teams
Using Microsoft Teams App on Ubuntu 22.04
Once the App is installed, you can either launch Teams App from activities or from terminal by simply typing
Launch teams and sign in with your cooperate mail account to be able to create teams, schedule meetings, chat make team calls etc.
This is all on how to install Microsoft Teams App on Ubuntu 22.04. Enjoy.
Want to remove Teams App? Run the command below;
apt remove --purge --auto-remove teams -y