In this tutorial, we are going to learn how to Upgrade VirtualBox 5.2 to VIrtualBox 6.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.
Oracle recently released VirtualBox 6.0. This is the major update of the VirtualBox releases and it comes with a full load of features;
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Support Added for Export Appliance
- Support for Nested Virtualization that enables you to create and run virtual machines (VMs) in the guest VM.
- Improved Integration with Microsoft Hyper-V hence VirtualBox can run on a windows hos with Hyper-V running.
- User interface: greatly improved HiDPI and scaling support, including better detection and per-machine configuration
- Major rework of user interface with simpler and more powerful application and virtual machine set-up
- User interface: a new file manager enabling user to control the guest file system and copy files between host and guest.
- Graphics: major update of 3D graphics support for Windows guests, and VMSVGA 3D graphics device emulation on Linux and Solaris guests
- Added support for surround speaker setups (as used by Windows 10 Build 1809)
You can read more about the new features of VirtualBox 6.0 on Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.0 Release Notes.
Upgrade VirtualBox 5.2 to VirtualBox 6.0 on Ubuntu 16.04
Install Oracle Repositories
To install the latest version of VirtualBox and to ensure that you can install constant updates of VirtualBox hustle free, you need to install Oracle repositories. Before you can install the repository, import the Oracle VirtualBox repository GPG signing keys.
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
Once the GPG keys are imported, create Oracle VirtualBox repositories.
echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian xenial contrib
Upgrade VirtualBox 5.2 to VirtualBox 6.0
The upgrade process basically means removing the old version and installing the new version. Hence, run the command below to remove the old VirtualBox 5.2.
sudo apt remove --purge virtualbox virtualbox-*
Once the removal of VirtualBox 5.2 is done, reboot your system.
After system reboots, update your system packages.
sudo apt update
Once the system update is done, install VirtualBox 6.0 using the package manager.
sudo apt install virtualbox-6.0
Launch VirtualBox the normal way you usually do and navigate to the Help > About VirtualBox to check the version. Note that if there were existing VMs, they will still remain intact.
The next thing you need to do is to install the latest VirtualBox extension pack. Hence navigate to VirtualBox downloads page and grab it. Download the extension pack of all supported platforms. Instead of saving the pack, just open it with VirtualBox.
If the old version of extension pack is installed, you will be prompted whether to upgrade. And of course, that is what we are doing, Go ahead and upgrade.
Accept the license and proceed to install the extension pack. If all goes well, the extension pack will be installed successfully.
Hurray!! The upgrade is successful.
Upto that far, you have learnt how to upgrade VirtualBox 5.2 to VIrtualBox 6.0 on Ubuntu 16.04. Enjoy the power of virtualization.